One art historian describes this colossal head as "the most harmoniously proportioned of the seventeen colossal heads that have been found to date." It's also one of the best preserved examples. It was discovered in 1946 excavations by Matthew W. Stirling in deep jungle on the San Lorenzo site 600 yards (548.6 m) from the primary mound. The back of the sculpture has 26 circular depressions and three grooves that may have a ritual connection. The top of the head and all of the right side is covered by a helmet-like headdress that is described as having rods and cords hanging down the front and other design features. The right ear is visible. This is one of the smaller sculpted heads from San Lorenzo and is designated as monument 4. It's made of basalt and measures 6 feet 1 1/4 inches (1.86 m) high.