These seventeen large bi-pointed bifaces were discovered during the excavation of Craig Mound. They are sometimes referred to as "Spiro swords." This picture was put together by digitally removing them from two old black & white photographs that were taken by professor Robert Bell in August of 1935. All of them are reported to have been found in one cache along with three maces that are pictured below. None of these blades survived intact. It's believed that they were "ceremonially broken." The longest blade to the right measures 22 inches (55.9 cm) long. But the measurements may not be completely accurate because some of the blades were not properly restored. Some of them were restored correctly but when x-rays were taken by Dr. P. F. Titterington it was determined that some of the blades were put together with pieces that did not match their connecting ends and had been stuck together with plastic wood filler. Green paint was also used to simulate copper stains. In fact when the person who bought them, Mr. Wehrle, put them into water to clean them they begin to fall apart.